Australian Medical Exam Preparation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Australian Medical Exam Preparation

Discussion AMC MCQ Exam, AMC Clinical exam

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

AMC Clinical exam preparation

Go down 
AuthorMessage
sue

AMC Clinical exam preparation Empty
PostSubject: AMC Clinical exam preparation   AMC Clinical exam preparation EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 1:45 pm

amc clinical exam

A 60 year old man with painful and stiff hip .
Task- Examine hip

Wash hands, ask permission.
Me- Hello Mr X, I have been asked to examine your hip. I will try to be as gentle as possible throughout my examination but if you are uncomfortable for any reason, pls let me know immediately ,ok ? I will look , feel and test some movements of your hip joint. Can I expose you up to your waist? I will give you a sheet for your convenience.

Look- Gait- Antalgic gait.
Trendenlenberg gait and test – Negative

On lying down, hips are not symmetrical. There seems a swelling over the right hip. No redness, no scars. No adduction or abduction deformities. Both ASIS in same level.
Feel- Temperature equal and comparable to other sites. Can’t feel the definite swelling but it seems to be a bony bumb as compared to the left. No tenderness over greater trochanter, lesser trochanter, mid inguinal points.

Move- Addcution , flexion,  internal rotation are restricted on right hip as compared with left due to pain.

Measure- True length and apparent length- No discrepancies

Prone position- Test extension . Limited again on right hip. NAD on inspection and palpation from prone position.
Back examination – NAD

I want to complete my examination by doing other joint examinations and neurovascular examination ( Examiner stopped me at this time and asked me D/Dx).

D/Dx- OA is most likely
Less likely causes – Hip fracture, Hip dislocation
Other candidates say Trochanteric burisitis which didn’t cross my mind at all.

Examiner- Talk to patient
Me- Mr X, from my examination, you are most likely to have a condition called OA. Do you know about it ?
RP- Yes

Examiner- What will you do ?
Me- X ray

Examiner- Summarise your examination findings again.
Me- On inspection,.. Bell rang.

Once I come out of room, I realized I forgot “ Thomas Test “.

Feedback- Follow the principle of “ Look, Feel, Move , Measure, X ray “
Add neurovascular testing and special tests in FEEL. Then you won’t miss anything
Back to top Go down

AMC Clinical exam preparation
Page 1 of 1